Can you tell us a bit about your background?
I’m a Dutchman, from a Carribian father and Dutch mother. While growing up there was always music, colour and laughter around us. The perfect activity for me was being in my colouring books and give the figures all different shades and hues. After High school I persued my passion for dance, being backstage and watching my female colleges doing there makeup, the joy for colors came back. So I went to beautyschool, to learn more about the face. When the year passed, my teacher became very sick and couldn’t teach at the school no more, that’s when they asked me if I would be interested to take over her classes. A year later MAC cosmetics came to the Netherlands. To be working for a company like that would be a dream come true. I started in the counter as a makeup artist and very soon they recognized my talent and I became the Trainer and Member of the MAC global pro team. Being a PRO team member MAC allowed me to work at all the big shows in the fashion cities like New York, London, Milan and Paris. Part of the job was to work with international celebrities like Mary J Blige, Missy Elliot, Dita von Teese and Kim Kardashian too. For the national market I worked with artists like Berget Lewis, Edsillia Rombley, Jasmine Sendar and many more. Now, I’m a freelance artist at Colourfool Agency and working on tv productions like Trinny & Susannah, Hollands Next Topmodel and a new – soon to be aired – program Next Hair Guru.
What do you enjoy working on the most at a woman’s face?
I like working on the skin, creating the perfect texture/finish, bring out the inner beauty of the woman whom is sitting in my chair. It doesn’t stop at just applying the foundation but also the shape of the face.
What do I think of mineral products such a sunscreen and mineral foundations for woman of color?
Keep in mind that most mineral products are containing mica (glitter), what I suggest is that you get a mineral foundation and powder without this mica to avoid an ashy finish. When you’re wearing sunscreen, keep in mind that most foundations already have sunscreen in them. When you want more protection, first apply the sunscreen and then work your foundation over it. Set your foundation with a warm colour or powder like a bronzing powder. This will avoid that you’ll look ashy.
Can you tell us 5 tips for a everyday makeup look?
- It all starts with skin care: get the right moisturizer for your skin type.
- Apply concealer where needed, if you have lots of pigmentation spots a foundationis key! Make sure you get the right shade for you complexion.
- Set with a powder, to take away unwanted shine!
- Mascara is a must to accentuate your eyes, make sure you keep the lashes seperated and not clumpy.
- Choose a soft natural colour for your lips, this could be a gloss or lipstick: what ever you prefer.
- If you want you can add some blush to give your face a little colour and freshness.
Can you give use 5 tips for an evening look?
In the evening there is less light so make sure you create light on your face:
- Apply foundation all over the face to even out your complexion.
- Use a golden highlighter on the cheeks to recreate a natural glow.
- Make your eyes pop with some eyeshadow, depending on your mood or outfit.
- Give your eyes a stronger shape with an eyeliner.
- Apply lipgloss over your lipstick for the ultimate glamour look.
What are the 5 big makeup trends for the upcoming season?
- The brow is making a big statement for this season, think of a nude face with one accent. That would be a brow, brushed up, filled in, create a new shape to make a statement.
- Copper/Orange/Rust/ Ocher/Metals eye shadows were applied as a wash/hue with gloss on the eyelids to create a cool fall dream effect.
- Then, to give the eye the power, we’re seeing lots of liners, not just the classic ones but in all shapes and sizes. For this season you can really be your own individual. Create your own to set your mood and be different. To complete this look, you apply mascara on the bottom lashes too.
- For the lips there is still the power lips that we’ve seen this summer. To make it more fit in to fall/winter go for darker richer colours like burgundy,brown, bordeaux and purple. Those are perfectly applied with a brush and topped with gloss for the glamgirls out there.
- For the girls whom are loving the makeup look there is the full face, multiple colours on the eyes in a cats eye shape and some colour on the lips. And believe it or not: you’ll see the colour blue coming back.
Is being a makeup artist as glamourous as it seems?
The glamour part of our job is that we come to visit great locations, work with fantastic people and being creative. On the other hand people forget that it’s hard work because there is always a deadline. Your as good as your last job. The pressure is high, sometimes you have to create 4-6 looks in one day. You could work for a couple of hours untill 18 hours a day. When you’re traveling all over the world remember that your social life is not active and it can be kind of lonely.
What are you future plans?
There is still a lot that I would like to do in the future. Maybe my own makeup line? Traveling with a big international Celebrity? What I can tell you is that I’m busy finding an agent in New York City, I would like to see what I can do in America, but you never know what comes along on your path. One thing is for sure and that is that my biggest job is still yet to come.
Thank you very much David, we loved chatting with you and we wish you good luck! Find out more about David Stella on www.davidstella.com.